Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hill Air Force Museum


A few weekends ago I was awakened by a telephone call from my dad and he informed me he was coming to Utah and invited me to lunch! What a fabulous surprise! We ended up spending some time at the Hill Air Force Museum before we went to lunch. My dad loves airplanes and knows so much about them. We walked around and looked at hundreds of planes and he knew them all without looking at the signs and could tell me all about them. There was one that I noticed he was calling it a “Warthog” and the sign called it a “Thunderbolt” I pointed out the difference so my dad was really bugged and asked the guy at the desk what was going on. It turns out all the really pilots and everyone call it a warthog when the technical name is the thunderbolt. Good to know my dad is in the circle of pilots. My dad loves the SR71 here is a picture of him by the engine.

My dad has been telling me about planes since I was little. I have pictures of myself in front of different planes all throughout my childhood. My dad loved to take pictures of us kids on the toilet, sleeping, and in front of planes! It’s always neat when he tells me stuff but there is so much to remember that I don’t remember even 1/10 of what he tells me. A few years ago our family went to “Fantasy of Flight” in Florida on my birthday. We were walking around the gift shop and there was a model airplane of the Spirit of St. Louis (Flown by Charles Lindbergh to complete the first non-stop solo transatlantic flight.) He asked, “So What kind of plane is that Molly?” My dad ALWAYS asks me these questions and I usually have no idea in the whole world what kind it is, and this was the case now. So I looked at the plane and on the tail it said “Ryan” so I said half jokingly, “Oh, it’s definitely a Ryan.” I’ll never forget the look on my dad’s face. It was as if every dream he had ever had in the whole world had come true in that instant when I had correctly identified this plane. That look was shortly followed by a look of total shock. You see my dad was standing on the other side of the plane and couldn’t see the writing on the tail and thus he thought I was the coolest daughter in the world. I was equally as shocked by my correct answer but managed to utilize my years of acting lessons and played it off like I knew what I was talking about. For a solid hour my dad kept going on and on about how he was so impressed and proud. Finally I had to start laughing and tell him the truth. It’s been a family joke ever since. But I will say I have a knack for guessing the names of planes. We had another occurrence at the museum and I guessed the name of this airplane without looking. My dad immediately said, “Oh okay where is that written?” I love my life.
The plane that I guessed the name of.

My dad in a fighter jet.

1 comment:

One Awesome Girlie! said...

Looks like the two of you had a great afternoon. Isn't it fun to have alone time with dad! Especially when it is something that has history behind it!