Thursday, September 6, 2007

One of My Favorite Things...

So with the new school year and all the new changes I decided to throw in a few more and try out for the Ogden Institute Folk Dance Team. Now the last time I tried out for a Dance team I was in sixth grade, but as you all know, I have always loved dancing. My love of dancing started way back when I was a tiny person of 2 years old dancing to my favorite song, “Two of Hearts” by Stacey Q. I would stand on my chubby little legs and dance my heart out whenever it came on. Although the songs are different now I still love to stand on my chubby little legs and dance my heart out to this day, and I still love Stacey Q.

Ogden is the only Institute with a Folk Dance Team. I know it sounds a little weird (I thought so myself). But they are really good and every time I watch them perform I find myself wishing I was up there with them. So my friend Jacob has been trying to convince me to try out for probably about a good 6 months now. I finally gave in and decided I would at least try out this fall. Tryouts were quite the adventure. The first night went well; we had to learn and try out with two dances, a regular dance and a clogging routine. I decided I liked the clogging the best because it was easy, although I’ve never done it. So I made call backs and went to the second night of try-outs. Boy was I in for a treat, the dances were a lot harder than the night before and I’ll freely admit at one point in the clog I was just trying to stay on beat having no idea what my feet were flailing around doing. I decided maybe clogging wasn’t as easy as I thought. :)

But miraculously, I made the team, and I am so excited. I love to dance and now I get to do it every week and I’m excited to get to know my teammates. I’ll have the opportunity to learn dances from different countries, which will be so neat. But with that comes the costumes… I will admit I am not all too excited about wearing the costumes from different countries because some of them are rather funny looking, and I’m sure putting me in them won’t make them look any better. For your amusement I have posted a picture below so you can see a sample of the costumes. This is a couple that was on the team a few years ago and now they choreograph some of the dances.

Great huh? Yep, that’s lederhosen. But look at how much fun they are having!

"There is a bit of insanity in dancing that does everybody a great deal of good. " ~Edwin Denby

2 comments:

Jessica said...

got to LOVE the costumes. I'm so excited for you Molly! You crack me up...as always and this will so much fun for you. Wish I could be there to see you kick your heels up! Maybe you can post some video.
love ya!

Christie said...

You never cease to amaze me Molly. WOW!!! That is all I have to say. I don't think there is anything you can't do...wait...I take that back. You definitely can't touch raw meat! You will have to let me know when you are performing this semester and I will come watch you. Plus I have to get pictures of you in your amazing costumes!