Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Freshman Follies

So I didn't mention it in my first post about roommates but Maranda is a freshman, enjoying her first semester at college. She is doing great (except for forgetting her schedule the first day and having me look it up and text her where she needed to go). So in an effort to celebrate the many wondrous beauties that come with being a freshman I decided to share some of Maranda's experiences in her first weeks. Don't worry I asked her first, and she more than happy to share. Here we go...

So Maranda has an aerobics class in the gym every Tuesday and Thursday. She managed to find her class and everything okay the first week and was doing well. She strolled to class the next week a little distracted texting on her cell phone. She goes into the locker room and changes her clothes. She is most of the way changed, just has her shirt up by her shoulders putting a heart monitor on…and in walks A MAN! With the most startled look on his face he stares at her and then mumbles sorry and walks out. Maranda starts looking around and realizes this locker room doesn’t quite look the same as it did before. So she yells, “Is this the Men’s locker room?” To which the man outside the door replies, “Yes” and another man peeks his head around the lockers to see exactly which girl has invaded their personal man-space. So Maranda gathers up her things and walks out, passing her first lockeroom pal who is just standing outside the door, still with a look of shock on his face. She couldn’t think of anything more profound to say than, “Well, I guess I better get out of here huh?” The man just nodded his head, with his eyes still bugging out and went into the locker room. I bet he was late for class that day.

In addition to aerobics, Maranda also has English like most freshmen do. The classes are usually pretty big; Maranda’s has about 40 in it. So at the end of class Maranda was returning to her seat from asking the teacher a question. Another boy needed to get past her to the front. For those of you who aren’t in college, the aisles aren’t the most roomy of spaces so in an event to avoid some awkward personal space invasion Maranda climbed on her chair so he could get by. He was taking his time passing so she decided to sit down and start packing up her stuff, rather than hopping down and sitting in her chair she decided it would be faster to just plop down on the desk and leave her feet on the chair. So she plopped. And Plop she did! She didn’t realize or didn’t remember that the cheap college desks don’t have legs that support the front of the desk so she started slowly falling backwards… In a fight or flight reaction she whipped her feet up off of the chair to stand up, but in doing so she removed the only weight on the chair that was keeping her from toppling over. She fell hard to the ground. She also managed to domino effect two other desks in front of her, the last one running into the Professors desk in the front. I’m sure all of the students had quite the chuckle as they walked out of class that day!

But don’t worry Maranda really is surviving well in the college environment. But her stories make me reminisce back to my good ole’ freshman year. Some highlights were: Showing up to class in the wrong building only to find that room was a closet. Falling flat on my bottom in the middle of campus in between classes and my personal favorite deserves the whole long story…

During my first month at school I was talking to one of my classmates and she was telling me about this kids that she worked with on campus at Student Services. He had long blonde hair and was tall and kinds of had a surfer look was how she described him. So I quickly had realized that I had seen him around- who could mistake a description like that. Well the best part is they called him, “Prince Charming” and he loved it. I found this very humorous. So one day I was sitting in the common area of the dorms and Prince Charming walked in. I don’t know if I was in a good mood or if I was just feeling adventurous that day but being a freshman and not knowing many people I was eager to reach out and make a new friend. So I figured I would start off on a funny note to spark the conversation I simply asked him, “People call you Prince Charming don’t they?” I didn’t realize how dumb it sounded until it had already fallen out of my mouth. My insecurity just got worse as he looked at me with a puzzled and creeped face and said, “No.” Completely in shock that I had not only gotten the wrong person but that this boy probably thought I had just busted out the biggest pickup line in the world on him and he was not impressed. I said, “Oh” and walked quickly away. To make things even worse he was an English tutor that was stationed at the dorms and was in the computer lab every Thursday night. He even proofread one of Jessica’s papers, although she had to choke down chuckles the entire time. I pretty much had to avoid the lab on Thursdays. Even though I wanted to die of embarrassment at the time. Jessica and I have had lots of good laughs about it since, and he has since graduated and I lived through it. I apologize for those of you who have heard the story before and those who haven’t I hope you liked it.

Well after talking so much about her I am finally posting a picture of Maranda. Here we are at the leadership conference last Friday. No, we didn’t dress the same on purpose and we didn’t even notice until that evening… what can I say great minds think alike.






No comments: