Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Little Too Awkward

So, this semester has brought a new adventure for me of walking to school. The last time I walked to school consistantly was my freshman year with Jessica. It was pretty fun because we laughed the whole time. She even made me walk to school in a total blizzard one day. We made it to the library and we both had mascera streaming down our faces. Good thing neither of us have been much into the trying to impress boys thing…Anyway… I didn’t get a parking pass this semester so I walk to school and it has its ups and downs. There is a terribly busy road I have to cross and sometimes I feel like I am going to die, but I love looking at all of the wonderful snow that Ogden has now. It’s so beautiful and peaceful to walk. Maranda has had some funny walking stories too. One day while walking home a truck slowed to talk to her, rolled down the window and said, “Hey pretty lady, what’s your name?” She awkwardly replied it was Maranda and we’ve been laughing about it for weeks. Who says that? Honestly.

But my experience today has made walking to school more than worth while, just so I could have this experience. So I was walking in the road (the sidwalk was snowy) and listening to my iPod when a boy in a car caught my attention and slowed down. He was probably my age or a few years older and fairly good looking and clean cut. He asked me if I could help him, to which I nodded. Then he told me that he needed to win a bet and he needed my help but it was a little awkward. So I’m thinking he needs me to pretend to be a girlfriend or kiss him or something. So I say, “Well I guess it’ll depend on what the bet is.” He says, “Well I need to clean a stranger’s house for a half an hour…in the buff…that’s the awkward part.” That's right folks, stark naked. WHAT?!?!? Um, yeah that’s awkward. So then he’s looking at me looking for an answer and I think he might have even said, “So can you help me out?” I’m not quite sure because my mind was going a billion miles an hour thinking, Is this REALLY happening to me at the same time trying to banish all sorts of pictures he’s painted in my mind, AH gross! I’m sure my face said everything that I couldn’t. So I think I stammered something like, “Yeah I think that might be a little too awkward, sorry. Have a good day though!” I’m really happy that I remembered to apologize for not letting him clean my house naked and that I wished him a good day. I was wishing later that someone could have caught my reaction on tape- it would have been priceless.

Maranda and I decided that I should have offered to let him shovel our driveway because it really needs it and it’s a beast. That would have been a sight for the neighbors! Everyone I have told the story to seems to have their own response of what I should have said, so if you have one, feel free to post it. I’d love to hear it, and I’m sure everyone else would to.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I must be in a different stage in life. I've been married for nearly 20 years, the mother of 6 children...if someone offered to clean my home, I don't care what attire is or isn't included, the offer would be READILY accepted!