Thursday, November 15, 2007

Our First Performance

Well last Friday was our first performance for the folk dance team. We performed at a Weber State Women’s basketball game. I am happy to announce that it went well. I only made a couple of small mistakes, but I smiled the whole time :) . So here is a sneak peek at one of our costumes. Aren’t they so fun?

Nikki, Brook and me

Jon, me and DJ


A little update about the Foot Chomper dance (aka Tinikling) … Practice did not go so smoothly last week. We got out the bamboo rods (I have switched from calling them poles to bamboo rods because some people were getting offended) and started practicing with our partners. It started out with my partner hitting me so hard with his arm that I fell completely over and out of the rods. Then I stepped wrong and my ankle gave out and fell down again. Later my partner thought we were supposed to trade spots when we weren’t so I turned around to see his charging me and plowing me over! In defense of my partner, he is a really good dancer; this type of dancing is just a little foreign to all of us. But I think the most injury was cause by me towards the end of practice. My partner was standing by the side of the rods and I was just going to town dancing, and then I stepped on a pole and tripped. I was falling fast and in a moment of desperation I reached out to my partner for help. He wasn’t paying attention or wasn’t quite quick enough and I ended up hitting him with my arm. Not too bad you say… well no it wouldn’t have been if it hadn’t been right in the crotch. We both toppled to the ground in pain. I was pretty much mortified. One of our fellow dancers was banging the rods together and was laughing so hard I thought he might trip everyone else dancing. So my partner who was feeling a little guilty towards the first of practice stated at the end that I had, “got him back plenty” and that we were even.

Be sure to mark your calendars for Dec. 7 & 8 if you are interested in coming to our Christmas show and seeing all of our dances. The show starts at 7:30. Prices for tickets are: Adults: $5 Children: $3 Seniors: $4 and Family $15, (if you want to come to the matinee on Sat @ 2:30, tickets are a bit cheaper). I can start getting them this week. Let me know if you want to come!

No comments: